Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Color Psychology Assignment




















The main focus of this assignment was color and the emotion it evokes. Every color has a meaning in one way or another. Red can represent passion and love. Blue can mean coldness or hope. The colors we see have psychological effects that can make us feel things. The instructions the professor gave were to create a painting of my face.  At least 2 versions of it. Both representing different aspects of my character displayed through the expression and color.



I went in this project knowing that i'm an awful painter and that I can not make a painting of my face without it looking a little bit weird. So to avoid that, I took a risk with the 2 faces rule. Instead of 2 heads side by side, I opted to make the second face a fractured mask that I glued onto a self portrait. I figured it was a good way to cover up any mistakes I would have made on the face as well as fit within the theme.

A theme about the false faces we put up to hide who we are on the inside. To isolate those 2 sides into one painting, I separated them using the colors. The alternative triad of green, purple, and orange as the "inner self" and the primary colors of blue and yellow as the side we show to others. The bold prime and simple colors that we often feel comfortable with sharing.

 I use blue to show the cold emptiness of a false personality, and yellow to represent happiness. But since yellow is one of the primary colors, it could also be interpreted as false happiness.

The alternative colors represent the more complex parts of ourselves that we tend to hide. Green representing a livelihood and orange representing warmth which both contrast with the cold empty shell. Purple represents the inner creativity that people keep to themselves.


   

I made sure to test the colors I wanted to use as well as my painting ability before getting to work on the final product.


This was just me messing around with FaceApp. creepy.



No comments:

Post a Comment